Asterisk VoIP News

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Asterisk on OpenWrt

Asterisk is free software that lets you create a fully functional, easily customizable, private branch exchange (PBX). Businesses like Asterisk because they can save money by using it, and because it is open source, they can add functionality to it easily and inexpensively. Asterisk is also becoming popular with home office users -- so much so that it spawned a new project called Asterisk@Home, which released its 1.0 version last year. Now there's even a version of Asterisk that runs on OpenWrt, a Linux distribution designed to run on your wireless router. I found it to be worthwhile, but I wouldn't depend on it for my home office.

I installed Asterisk on OpenWrt White Russian RC4 on a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. It's my first Asterisk installation. I admit that I scraped the knuckles on both hands getting Asterisk correctly configured, but now that I've done it, I would say it was worth all the frustrations it caused me. Not only do I now have a functional personal PBX, I've also learned a little about the black art of telephony along the way.

nstallation was a snap. All I had to do was point my browser at the WRT54GS's IP address, log in at the OpenWRT Admin Console, and then click the install button next to the Asterisk and Asterisk-sounds packages. The install was finished, but I still had a long way to go.

Click Here for the Full Article